Species: C. ashei - C. coccinea - C. dentata - C. grandiflora - C. nepeta
Calamintha is a genus of plants that belongs to the family Lamiaceae. Commonly called the calamints, there are about eight species in the genus (around 30 before revisions in taxonomy) which is native to the northern temperate regions of Europe, Asia and America.
Calamintha species are used as food plants by the larvae of some Lepidoptera species including Coleophora albitarsella.
* Calamintha acinos - a synonym for Acinos arvensis, also called basil thyme
* Calamintha alpina - a synonym for Acinos alpinus, the Alpine Calamint
* Calamintha ascendens - a synonym for Calamintha sylvatica
* Calamintha ashei
* Calamintha baetica - a synonym for Calamintha sylvatica
* Calamintha chinensis - a synonym for Clinopodium chinense
* Calamintha clinopodium - a synonym for Clinopodium vulgare, the Wild Basil
* Calamintha coccinea
* Calamintha dentata
* Calamintha exigua - a synonym for Acinos rotundifolius
* Calamintha grandiflora - Large-Flowered Calamint, an ornamental plant.
* Calamintha graveolens - a synonym for Acinos rotundifolius
* Calamintha nepeta - Lesser Calamint,
* Calamintha nepetoides - a synonym for Calamintha nepeta
o Calamintha nepeta subsp. nepeta
* Calamintha officinalis - a synonym for Calamintha sylvatica
* Calamintha sylvatica, Common Calamint, a low-growing plant with a minty smell and lavender flowers. It prefers alkaline soil. The leaves can be used to make tea.
o Calamintha sylvatica ascendens - an earlier name for Calamintha sylvatica
* Calamintha umbrosa - a synonym for Clinopodium umbrosum
* Calamintha vulgaris - a synonym for Clinopodium vulgare, The Wild Basil
Calamintha species are used in the popular Middle Eastern culinary blend called za'atar. Za'atar is a general name for any Middle Eastern herb from the genera Origanum (oregano), Calamintha (calamint), Thymus (thyme) and Satureja (savory). It is also the name for a condiment made from the dried herb(s), mixed together with sesame seeds, dried sumac, often salt, and other spices.